Hadley, originally known as Summit Lake, is located in Leeds Township in Murray County Minnesota. This prairie village sits on a hill overlooking Summit Lake, for which the town was originally named.
The village was surveyed on October 1st, 1879 for the branch line of the St. Paul & Sioux City RR Company. At this time, Summit Lake was re-named "Hadley" by the railroad officials.
The residents of Hadley can trace their ancestors back to the first brave settlers who came from Norway when Native Americans camped on the shores of Summit Lake. Hans Simonson, the first settler arrived in June 1872. The next was Christian Christiansen who arrived in October of the same year. Then came Gilbert Johnson, Theodore Knutson, Claus Clausen, L.O. Solem, Peter Thompson, Nels Sevenson, Hans Jacobson, Olus Johnson & Sven Nilson.
Basebell is a rich tradition in Hadley and they have had some great teams. In the 40's they went to state 4 times. In the late 60's, Hadley was having trouble finding players and folded from from 1968 to 1970. In 1971, Hadley & Lake Wilson ballplayers again started the team, eventually moving it to Lake Wilson where a manager could be found. The Buttermakers are now back in Hadley and made a trip to state in 2001.
The Hadley Community Center is a newer facility in town and is used by many different organizations for meetings, meals, dances, etc.
Laurie Mahon park is widely used for baseball & softball games.